8/25/09

Harumi Kurihara


I cook a lot of rice.

And get so much inspiration from Harumi Kurihara and her book Harumi's Japanese Cooking.

About rice, she says: "I think rice should be treated with respect and should be freshly prepared for each meal."

She also remembers her mother beautifully in the book's introduction: "My mother inspired me to see that although there are many things in life that may seem routine, or even boring, like cooking every day for your family, if you approach it with the right attitude you can achieve great satisfaction. By taking care of detail you can find happiness in small everyday things, which make all the difference to a family who are living in the same house and sharing meals together. When I look at my mother I feel such tenderness and pride. I am so impressed by her ability to carry on calmly through good times and bad".

I covet this rice cooker from Tortoise, a favorite shop.



I'll be making Harumi's Salmon Burgers for tonight's dinner, with a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart. Seriously.